The commitment of The Kingston District Fire Department is to maintain the quality of living in our community by preventing or minimizing injury and the loss of life and/or property from fire or other emergencies that may occur within the area we serve. The members of this department, working together will provide a professional and caring environment that is fair, honest, and that treats all individuals in an ethical manner with respect and dignity. This department will also strive to improve quality of life through its public education and prevention programs.
It is the vision of The Kingston District Fire Department to be known as a progressive and innovative Fire Department. Providing the finest in fire, rescue and emergency services by utilizing the best personnel, training and equipment and creating a work environment that promotes the health and welfare of our members. We will create a commitment to excellence through professionalism, honesty, integrity and respect for our clients and each other.
How to Join Us
We welcome all interested personnel to apply for a position within the department. We offer a wide range of job opportunities which include firefighting to medical response, drivers to radio dispatchers. We are a 100% volunteer department which will pay for ALL training, equipment and safety material required in order for you to perform your duties in a safe and professional manner. Unlike some volunteer departments we are not forced to raise funds in order to perform our duties and are extremely fortunate to be fully funded by the Municipal tax base. This allows us to have the very best in fire apparatus, training and equipment. We are a vibrant, diverse department in age, ethnicity and gender.
Simply click on the link below to complete our application. Then come out and join us any Monday night starting at 7:00 PM to be given a tour, meet the firefighters, and get started on joining one of the finest volunteer fire departments in the Annapolis Valley. (We do not meet on holidays or during the months of July, August or December)
From the Fire Chief
The Villages of Kingston and Greenwood are strong vibrant communities. We have seen unprecedented growth in both commercial and residential development during the past decade. Our District is seeing increased development and new housing, with hundreds of new residents moving here each year.
That kind of growth brings its own unique challenges. The Kingston District Fire Department tackles these challenges with a creative, modern approach that embraces best practices, evidence-based decision-making, long-range planning, and inner agency/department cooperation.
Our initiatives include:
• Expanding our membership to sixty five members, one of the largest in the Annapolis Valley.
• Reducing residential fires through our educational programs.
• More efficient deployment of apparatus and firefighters through improved training.
• Establishing Standard Operating Procedures and new firefighter training programs.
• Acquiring the best apparatus and equipment to serve the people of the district while ensuring firefighter safety at all times.
• Fostering a close working relationship with RCMP, Emergency Health Services, 14 Wing Greenwood and neighboring Fire Departments.
• Constantly improving our response to any emergency through research, best practices and post analysis of all incidents.